Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Whiskers Holler

Nick and I recently went in with my folks and my brother Matt on some land in Hope. Hope is a tiny town about an hour north of Seward, absolutely gorgeous. It's always been a favorite hiking and camping spot for my family, and now we own a little piece of it! It's completely wooded right now, but we hope to get it cleared enough for a rough driveway and some tent platforms by the end of summer. Long term goal is to have a miniature yurt 'village' - one large central kitchen/gathering room with smaller bedrooms scattered around. We're really excited about it! But it's going to take a lot of work. We spent some time out there working a couple weeks ago, and Jonas of course had a blast. Unfortunately we haven't perfected our toddler-in-a-tent scenario. Hopefully that improves soon!


Little does he know that this place is going to be a staple of his childhood, and hopefully the basis for incredible memories for years and years to come!


He definitely enjoys hanging around the camp site! Actually here we're on the little access road between our property and the next - there isn't this much open space anywhere on the plot, yet.
Mmmm, grilled margarita pizza! It doesn't look like it yet, but after you smash those tomatoes on there and add fresh basil and mozzarella, believe me it's GOOD.

Here's the rough cut of where our driveway is going to come through. Nick and Dad and Matt cut and cleared all those trees by hand! I hauled some wood, but they definitely did the majority of the hard labor. Hey, someone has to watch the kid!

Of course we chose the lot with the most privacy, which also means it's going to be very difficult to clear - but I think it will be worth it in the end!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That sounds spectacular. Um, yeah, I would "watch" the kids too. hehe. And this summer will be Dale's first tent camping, and I must say, I am more than nervous. You know how I feel about bears.

    ReplyDelete